Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Reclaimed Pallet Wood Litter Box Bench

Okay, so it's been a REALLY long time since I've done any blogging.  I'm sure some people thought I fell off the face of the Earth or just ditched my blog.  That's okay.  I would have done the same thing.

I think I got too immersed in the bloggie world for a while there and forgot what it was like to actually live life.  After a very long break, I created some things, learned some new things, had a few adventures, and began getting the itch to share them again.  I'm probably not cut out to be an "every-single-day blogger," but I think I can handle at least once a week.  We'll see how it goes.

Anyhoo... I decided I was super excited about my latest project.  It's a piece of furniture that I'm calling a "litter box bench."  I decided to make it after adopting two of my bottle baby foster kittens.  (I know... In my absence you guys probably not have met them yet, but I'll save that story for another day, like maybe tomorrow...or the next...)

Now that I have two kitty cats (three at the moment because I'm still fostering their sister) in my house, I wanted to find a solution to a few problems.

  1. Litter boxes are just ugly.  "Blue plastic in the corner of the room is so beautiful," said no one ever.
  2. Little Murphy dog thinks that the kitties leave "delicious candy with pee flavored sprinkles" just for him.  (See this video, if you want a good laugh about dogs.)
  3. Litter is insane.  That stuff goes EVERYWHERE.  I needed to contain it.

This was my solution.


It looks like a chest/bench thingy, right?

Well, that's not all it is...


The side has a nice little kitty cat size entrance.

As you can see, they seem to like going in and out...


And chilling out on top.

(That's Miss Mustache, by the way.  It's pretty obvious how she got her name.)

Now here's the cool part about this litter box bench.  The top comes off, so you can take care of your end of business inside.


I decided to make this one big enough for two "rooms."  The first area has one of those litter mats so it will catch litter before they track it outside.  It also made a nice little place for me to hang the pooper scooper.  I put the divider in so my little weasel of a dog, a.k.a. Murphy, couldn't get inside to his favorite treats.

So far it's working out very nicely, and it's not an eyesore like that stupid blue plastic box.

Now, you might be wondering how we did it.  Honestly, I just sort of came up with the concept of what I wanted, and the husband and I made it up as we went along.  We used pallet wood and scrap plywood my husband found, hardware that we had, and stain and polyurethane I had used for previous projects, so the only things I spent money on were the foam and fabric for the top.  All together, it cost about $20.  

Unfortunately, in my excitement I didn't take photos along the way, but I had drawn sketches in an attempt to organize my thoughts.  When my sister wanted the "plans," I decided I would just blog about it so anyone else who might be interested could see.  (The following images are of quick sketches I used to visually show my husband what I had in mind.  I later added the notes for you guys.  Note:  I am not an architect, nor do I claim to be.  This is just to show you the basic idea, so please don't be rude about my crooked lines or lack of proportion.  Thanks.)


Hopefully you guys like it. :) I'll be back soon with the story of how I ended up with kittens in the first place, and I hope to have more projects to share very soon, as well.


7 comments:

  1. This is so creative!! You could seriously sell these and make a killing with all the cat lovers out there. It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I love this, I took pics of all the instructions and am going to attempt to make this today with my daughter!!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely brilliant, love seeing clever re-use ideas. using pallet wood was a great idea, how does it fair as a construction material though? Is it quite sturdy as you use it as a bench?
    Cam | Sadlers (Pallet Boxes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Frndz....
    Your blog has always been a good source for me to get quality tips on blogging. Thanks once again.
    Pallet Boxes online at Kite Packaging. Cardboard boxes attached to timber pallets. Free Uk delivery on all orders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Glad to have found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I'm definitely going to do this over memorial weekend. How much fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It was really insightful.
    Thanks for the info.
    Wanna have more contents from you.
    Cheers
    BTW if anyone interested more have a look Click Here For Visit My Site thanks"

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)