Sunday, April 3, 2011

Plans That Went Out With a Bang

So, I'm really hoping that I haven't started a trend for my weekends... Last weekend and this one have both been, how shall I say it, "less than desirable."

I had big plans for last weekend, but Kent and I were both pitiful people with ear infections and terrible headaches so that didn't work, and this weekend decided to be the same way.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

My plan was to start work on refinishing the end tables in my living room because they desperately need a makeover!

I'll go ahead and show you what they look like now because I hope to get started on them in the next day or so.  I'm actually really embarrassed to show these since they look sooo terrible, but oh well...

Here's one of the two.  I know... a terrible color of wood and terribly banged up.
I've got plans for these guys though.

Hopefully, when I finish they won't look like this anymore.

The tops of these are wood veneer, but the sides and legs are actual wood.  I've never tried to stain veneer, but I've heard you can do it, so I'm going to try it.   Even if I mess them up, it's no big loss.  Kent got them somewhere in California from a thrift shop a few years ago for practically nothing.  When I'm feeling like a real human being again, I'm excited to get started sanding and staining!

At this point, you might be wondering why I don't feel like getting started right now... or maybe you really don't care, but I'm going to tell you anyway.  

After my fabulous beach day on Friday, I came home to relax and chill out.  Before bed I really got sucked into my latest book.  I read it from like 9 until I crawled in the bed, and then I kept reading until midnight. (Yeah... I know, we have super exciting Friday nights, huh?)  Anyway, my "old soul" self doesn't like to stay up much past midnight, so I decided to take one more trip to the ladies' room and turn in.

 Well, in case I haven't shared this yet, I'm a total klutz.  I run into something pretty much every day.  It might be a chair, it might be a doorway that I'm turning into too sharp, or it might be the cabinet door when I open it.  You just never know.  Friday night, though, I took my klutz status to a whole new level. 

I was smart when I took my midnight trip to the ladies' room and turned on both lights in my bathroom.  It was very well lit in there, but it just can't always help a lost cause like me.  I did what I had to do then went to the sink to wash up.  When I looked on the counter, I saw an empty toothpaste box that Kent left on the counter.  Grrrr... the trash can is just on the other side of the counter.... Why can't he just throw stuff like this away and clean up his mess???

Being the semi-OCD person that I am, it was not going to stay there all night, so I successfully turned to put the box in the waste basket.  As I turned back to wash my hands, WHAMMO!!!!  I hit my nose/head-right-between-the-eyes area so hard that everything went black for a minute and I literally saw stars. (I always thought that was just in cartoons, but I can now tell you it's not.)

I took the liberty of taking a picture of the scene so you can get the idea.
I also added arrows...

Ummm.... OUCH!!!  I just dropped to the floor and let the tears come out of my eyes for a few minutes... not crying, per se, but watering from being hit in the nose.  I finally stood up, checked everything out, and saw no immediate swelling and just a tiny trace of a little bruise.  I'd done something similar before and just had a very tender nose the next day, so I thought nothing of it and went on to bed.

Fast forward to Saturday morning.  I wake up with a slight headache and decide to do the post about pink leopard toenails.  By the time I finish, though, the headache is worse, I feel loopy as all get out, and have a hard time focusing on things.

As the day wears on, these things all persist and nausea/getting sick is added to the equations.  Uggghhhh...  absolutely miserable, as in can't sit up or stand up for longer than 5 minutes miserable

It quickly became apparent that I was not going to be sanding anything, and that instead I was going to be laying on the couch in misery all day long.  I don't know that I've ever felt quite so bad in a "loopy-and-not-in-control-of-my-body" way, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Since Kent's a medic, he checked me every few hours all day to see if we should go to the ER, but I was just showing symptoms of a mild concussion, so we just continued to keep an eye on things and I rested. 

After a good night's sleep, only a little "loopy-ness" remains today... Thank goodness.  However, I'm not taking any chances.  I'm just taking the day off and hoping I'm back to my "regular human being" self... sans klutziness... tomorrow.

Moral of this story:  Pay attention to the walls around you, and don't hit them or let them hit you.  It hurts.  ;-) 


  1. Oh geez what a story! I'm glad you are okay and I'm sure you have a nice colorful bruise by now! Hope you feel better soon, I can't wait to see your finished tables. I have a few projects similar but no idea where to start since I've never done anything like that at all.

  2. Your picture of the scene just made me laugh and Chris wanted to know what I was laughing about....naturally I had to share with him. Feel better...

  3. Thanks for the feel better wishes guys. :)
    Cat, I've never attempted end tables exactly like this, but I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated along the way though!


I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)