Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tail Wagging Tuesday: Special Pup Feature- Sharpie

This week's special pup belongs to a friend from back home who also happens to be new to the blog-o-sphere. Mary Beth is just starting out with her blog Berry Sweet Branches, so hop on over and show her some love. :)  For now, we'll see what she has to say about her sweet furry friend named Sharpie.




What kind of dog is Sharpie?  How old is he?
      Sharpie is a Shar Pei mix (not sure with what). He is around 4 1/2 to 5 years old.
 
 
 
Where did you get Sharpie? What's his story?
     I adopted Sharpie two and a half years ago from an adoption organization called Reese's Rescues, and he was being kept at the Animal Care Hospital in Lawrenceville, Georgia. I was a sophomore in college and had transferred from the University of Georgia to a smaller college in Alabama to be close to a guy I was dating at the time. The relationship with said guy had become unstable, and on a weekend visit home to my family, I was enjoying my time with them while also keeping the future of the relationship on the back of my mind. I believe Sharpie was a gift from heaven and was sent to be my little guardian angel because almost out of nowhere, I gained a very strong urge to adopt a dog during my weekend visit home. I have always loved animals, and my family had always had a dog along with a myriad of other pets while I was growing up, but at that point in time, there was no friendly pooch around the house. I began searching online, not even sure of exactly what type of dog I was looking for, and I came across Sharpie's profile on Petfinder. As soon as I clicked on the link that brought up his picture and information, I instantly fell in love. I know that sounds cliche, but I literally knew he was meant to be mine. I immediately inquired about him, and as soon as I received the response that he was still available, I was ready right then to go get him. Long story short-- the relationship ended over the weekend, and I decided to adopt Sharpie and move back in with my parents while I figured out my life situation.
      So, on Monday, I arrived at the Animal Care Hospital as soon as I could to meet Sharpie. I was so excited as I sat in the little room waiting for them to bring him in. They told me that six months before when they arrived to work to open up the office one morning Sharpie was tied to the front of their building. They said he had no fur and was covered in fleas, so they took him in and nursed him back to health. I wondered how anyone could abandon him, but the excitement that I had in looking forward to meeting him helped me push those troubling thoughts aside. As soon as he came through the door, he ran up to me with his wagging curly tail, and my heart melted. I could hardly concentrate on the drive home as he rode in my back seat with his cute little bandana around his neck and looking just as happy as I was. I think he knew he had found his forever home.
     This time for me was a real struggle because I had ended a serious relationship, started the process of moving home, and was about to have to make some major decisions regarding school. Sharpie Man (as I like to call him) was right by my side through it all. He seemed to know when I was having an especially bad day, and he could always make me feel better. He really did help me through the struggle by being the most lovable companion, and he encouraged me to go for walks and helped clear my mind. Without him, my life to this point may have been very different.
 
 
 
How did Sharpie get his name?
     Sharpie is the name that the employees at the Animal Care Hospital gave to him, and I really liked it, so I decided to keep it. A lot of the time now we call him Sharpie-Man (especially when he is doing something cute).
 
 
 
What are Sharpie's favorite things to do?  Things that make him unique?  Crazy quirks or special sweet things he does?
     Some of Sharpie's favorite things to do are sleep, chew on bones, do tricks for treats, sleep, be brushed, and sleep :) He loves to curl up and take a good nap, and most of the time you will find him curled up on his bed sound asleep. When he's not napping, he also likes to do tricks for treats. He is one of the smartest dogs I have ever known and knows commands to sit, lie down, stay, come, heel, shake, crawl, take a bow, stand on his hind legs, play dead, sit like a meerkat, and leave a treat until given permission to gobble it up. Sharpie hates water--he will even tiptoe around a puddle outside, but he does perfectly during a bath (kind of strange).  He also hates cameras, so it's hard to get a good picture of him. He has little ears that are the exact size and shape of a Dorito...sometimes we call him Dorito ears :)  And when he growls, he literally sounds like a panther (I wish I had a recording to share). His growl and bark make him sound extremely vicious, but he is one of the most gentle and sweet dogs I have ever known. He also likes to sit on my feet. It doesn't matter if I am sitting or standing, but if I stay still for a little while, he will either sit or lie down on my feet (which is great during the winter). He is also an ice stealer (so he thinks). If I'm getting ice out of the freezer and drop a piece, he will sneak into the kichen (he normally isn't allowed in there), grab the piece of ice, and then jog back into the living room to eat it. It's like he thinks he's getting away with something, but most of the time I drop a piece on purpose just because I want to see him get it. The sweetest and coolest thing he does may be his smile. If I have been gone all day or have had to leave him with a friend for a short time, when I get back, he waddles up to me and literally smiles. His top lip and nose scrunch up where all you can see are his front little teeth, and he only does this in these situations. I love knowing he gets so excited about my return, and I love proving to him that I will never abandon him.
  
 
 
What makes Sharpie so special to you and your family?  What does he mean to you?
     Sharpie is such a special dog to me because he is the first dog that I can truly call my own, and he is my comfort buddy. He has been there for me through so many difficult times as well as the good times. He is such a great companion, and I love knowing he is at the door waiting for me every time I get home. Sharpie Man is such a great companion, and I am so thankful that he is a part of my family.
 

A great big thank you to Mary Beth for taking the time to share her sweet story with us!  
 
 
P.S.  I really need some new interviews to keep this feature going!  I know you guys love your furry and feathered buddies, so if you would like to share one of your sweet stories with us, please, please, pretty please shoot me an e-mail at TailsToTell [at] Live [dot] com.  I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story. I wish I could see a pic of Sharpie smiling. I LOVE dogs' smiles. LOL. Yup, he sure enough was meant to be hers and vice versa. "Dorito ears" is a great nickname. I love your Tuesday pup features, Lindsay. I am glad you thought of doing it and sharing these stories with us.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)