I'm very excited to say that after 9+ hours of work yesterday and I don't know how many today, I'm halfway finished! And I'm kind of proud, so I wanted to show off my handiwork.
I started by sanding everything down so I could repaint. After that, I painted everything using a flat Behr Latex paint in a color called "Top Soil." It had built-in primer, so that cut one step. I painted two coats, and then followed up with 3 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. (I know, I finished pretty quickly for all that... Even though things are dry to the touch, I'm giving them a good 3 days to let the paint completely set before I start "regular" use again.)
One of the little things that did the most for changing the look of this old and outdated furniture was simply changing the hardware.
Things went from 1980s, gold-ish pineapple-ish pulls...
To a bit more modern brushed nickel pulls and knobs...
The cute little chest of drawers looks fresh and renewed...
(I had to turn on the overhead light instead of just using natural light, so it effected the color a little.)
The room as a whole looks much sleeker, I think... but maybe I just like seeing furniture match and go with my other decor. (Pardon the fan behind the door in this photo, and I am still waiting on my canvases for the artwork above the bed.)
The mirror I have above the dresser looks brown, but has a bit of a gold tint sometimes. I'm afraid it's going to bother me. Do you think I should paint it to match the brushed nickel look of the dresser pulls?
I'm pretty excited about how everything is starting to come together. Now my room is one I actually don't mind being in. Maybe it will even make putting laundry up more fun!
Nah... nothing could make putting laundry away fun.
Oh well... we also made a trip to Goodwill today once I realized the nightstand was not salvageable. It had been on Kent's side, so I hadn't really noticed that a big piece of the wood was busted. I figured we could use two matching ones anyway, so I decided to at least give Goodwill a look in case I saw something I could fix up.
I found two just like this for $15! They are wood, so I can paint away! Pretty exciting.
I'm going to paint the top the same brown as the other pieces, and the bottom is going to be a lighter blue that matches my curtains and bedspread. If I can get my hands on the right kind of glaze, I'm going to give it a "distressed" or "aged" look. The knobs will match the little chest of drawers. I can't wait to get started tomorrow! I'll show you the finished product when I get it done. :-)
Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend!